Sunday, January 3, 2016

Rest is a Requirement, Not an Option

And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had made; and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had made. Genesis 2:2 KJV

I know many of us are planning our 2016 calendar. We want to do better than previous years. We want to share with more people, expand our networking, and increase our profits.

I can relate. I began planning in the Fall of last year. As I got closer to 2016, I did a review of 2015. I had to evaluate what worked well for my relationship with God, my family, writing, teaching, and speaking. I realized in 2016 since I work a full time job, I could not have every Saturday booked. Additionally, although I am a writer and love to read, so does my soon-to-be eight-year-old son.  However, reading does not come easy for him. Therefore, while school is in session, I cannot hold meetings during the week.

This limits my work schedule. I’ve come to understand that’s just fine. If I overwork myself, I’ll limit my productivity. Reading my Bible, I saw that even God had a rest day. Now thinking about God, and who He is, I asked why in the world would He need rest? He’s GOD!

I truly believe His example of resting was for our benefit. We are human. He is not. Yet, He leads by example. Rest for man is not an option; it’s a requirement. Once I came to terms with this requirement, I planned my calendar as such that I work only two Saturdays out of the month. Having at least two Saturdays at home, allows me to manage my household and be available for my family. Ultimately, when my family is in harmony, my business is more productive.

Ponding this rest principle makes me consider tithing. Tithing requires us to set aside a tenth of all increase. Rest requires us to set aside a percentage of all production. One might ask, how can you get ahead giving? My answer is, truthfully, I do not know. God provides the increase. And I have witnessed; my bank account looks better when I give, and my household sings happily when I rest.

Happy 2016 everyone! Work and Rest Well!

Brook Lynn
Brook Lynn Dorcent
Author/Coach/Inspirational Speaker
Founder/Facilitator: JUST WRITE! - A Club for Writers
Missing the Mark (Novel One)
Pressing Toward the Mark (Novel Two)
Forgetting Betrayal (Novel Three)
Above All (Novel Four)
His Wedding Vow (A Novella) Coming Soon
Spirit Over Will (Devotional)

Why Not...Read for Love

No comments:

Post a Comment