Sunday, January 24, 2016

Mom Said, Take It!

Mom At Easter Dinner 1976
Moving forward while facing opposition is not easy. I know. After seven years of marriage, my husband and I separated. I was feeling badly and looking worse than I felt. My mom was living at the time. She said, “Girl, pick yourself up, go get your hair done, and we’re going shopping!”

Mom didn’t have very much money. She gave me what she had to improve my appearance. Not only that, she and my sister would force me to come out of my emotional depression. They’d say, “Today, we’re watching this movie, or today we’re going here.”

They didn’t let me wallow. I don’t know if they were aware of what their actions were truly portraying. At that time I wasn’t aware. However, their actions declared this; God has given you goodness, take it, look like it, and act like it.

Initially, I didn’t want to move forward. I wanted to curl into a ball, sit in the shower and let the water drown me. Some days, that is exactly what I did. I couldn’t see the vision of joy and happiness God had for me.

God not only gave me my family to help me through the roadblock, He sent great friends, along with Dr. Charles Stanley and Kirk Franklin. OK, no, Dr. Stanley and Mr. Franklin didn’t come to visit me. Their ministry did, however. They touched my life in ways I cannot adequately articulate. Their words pushed me, motivated to take what God had planned for me.

Sixteen years later, I am happily married to the same man that once separated from me -- the joy in our hearts and home overflows. We need more than one cup…

Although God has a plan for us, we still have a responsibility to partake. We have to take what has been laid out for us. For many of us who have started our businesses and ministries, we started out with a force of strength and passion. On cloud nine to the ninth power, nothing could stop us. Later along the way, roadblocks, opposition and heartache appeared. It can be very easy to slip into a comfortable stance and say, I’ll sit here, I will not move forward.

Whatever you are facing now, you must lift up your head and know you can get through this, prosperity and peace belongs to you. And although, you have faced a roadblock, God has positioned people in your life that will help you through it.

Don’t wallow, get up and take it!

Until we meet again,



Brook Lynn

Brook Lynn Dorcent
Author/Coach/Inspirational Speaker
Founder/Facilitator: JUST WRITE! - A Club for Writers
Host: THE JUST WRITE REVIEW
Missing the Mark (Novel One)
Pressing Toward the Mark (Novel Two)
Forgetting Betrayal (Novel Three)
Above All (Novel Four)
His Wedding Vow (A Novella) Coming Soon
Spirit Over Will (Devotional)
OUTStanding (Teen Guide)
www.brooklynndorcent.com
Why Not...Read for Love

No comments:

Post a Comment