Sunday, February 7, 2016

Seeing The Value In It All

I made a commitment to blog every Sunday. Until Friday, I had nothing. I was slightly concerned that I wouldn’t have anything of value to share. Still, I believed I would find something to blog about. It’s amazing when you make a commitment to the gifts God has given us; He will ensure that we have all we need.

On Friday, He allowed me to bump into wisdom and I saw the value in it all.

I leave work at 5:00 pm. It was around 4:20 and it had not been a very eventful day. For that, I was grateful. On my way to my office after catching up on some filing, I saw a retired employee and his spouse. We normally see this retiree every Friday. He’s a stamp collector and comes to acquire all the stamps we’ve received. As the years have progressed, he moves a little slower with the help of a cane. Nevertheless, he’s faithful.

Seeing me in the hall, he politely introduced me to his wife. I remembered her from his retirement party. Then, she shared such admirable sentiments about her husband. Her words moved her to the point of tears. The memory stayed with me. I believe no one knows us like our spouses do. They’ve truly seen, the good, the bad, and the ugly. Yet, a faithful spouse still sees the value in us.

His wife said, “Oh, I’m sorry, I don’t remember you.” It had been at least 12 years since that retirement party. I replied, “That is fine.” I also shared why she was so memorable to me.

Well…that sparked a conversation between the two of us. As we went on and on, her husband walked off in search of his stamps. She talked, and I mainly listened. She shared they had been married 56 years. She talked about his current health challenges, but it was not his problem alone. Oh no, they were a team, in it together, and would get through it.

She not only shared about how much she cared about her spouse, she shared how she had neglected her own health and urged me not to do that. Years ago, although she felt fine, medical testing revealed a problem with her heart. Well since she had no symptoms, she went about her daily routine, going to a ball game, grocery shopping, preparing dinner, and cleaning the kitchen. She gently touched my arm as she emphasized, “You know us women, we never stop.”

That night, life for her almost came to an abrupt end. After her routine, she began to feel like she was going under. Since the doctor had given her Nitroglycerin, she managed to gather enough strength to find her purse and take one. It had been too late, however. She struggled into a room where her husband sat at the computer and plopped into a chair. Her last words before her eyes rolled out of sight were, “I feel awful.”

Later, she found herself being prepped for open-heart surgery.

As I listened, I thought about my health. I come from a family where my mother and grandmother both have had heart attacks.  For no reason at all, I stopped taking my daily aspirin.

Shifting my thoughts, I focused on her again. We could have talked for hours more. She spoke of family and said, “God has a plan. We don’t know the time or day. However, I’d love to see what would become of my youngest grandchild.”

That is a hope we both share. I don’t have grandchildren yet, but what a joy that would be! When she left me, I felt refreshed.

Just as her husband’s pastime is collecting stamps, mine is writing. No matter how many books I sell, my heart’s desire is to just write. I also saw the value in appreciating my spouse and family all the more. The best way to do all those things; is to value my health. On my way home that evening, I ran into the pharmacy and purchased my aspirin. I’m taking them again.

I was grateful I bumped into wisdom on Friday. How about you?  Please share your unexpected encounters and the value in it all. I’d love to hear from you.

Until We Meet Again,


Brook Lynn

Brook Lynn Dorcent
Author/Coach/Inspirational Speaker
Founder/Facilitator: JUST WRITE! - A Club for Writers
HOST: THE JUST WRITE REVIEW (YouTube)
Missing the Mark (Novel One)
Pressing Toward the Mark (Novel Two)
Forgetting Betrayal (Novel Three)
Above All (Novel Four)
His Wedding Vow (A Novel) Coming Soon
Spirit Over Will (Devotional)
OUTStanding (Memoir/Teen Guide)
www.brooklynndorcent.com
Why Not...Read for Love


3 comments:

  1. There are no 'luck encounters' when it comes to God’s children. I hear much from your encounter with this loving couple. While the husband politely left his wife in good company to pursue his purpose,she paid it forward and evoked change in you to act on what you already KNEW to do! To God be the glory! 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! Please forgive my late reply. I'm just seeing this. Thank you for reading and for sharing your comment. I so agree with you this was no "luck encounter."

      May God continue to bless you!

      Delete
  2. There are no 'luck encounters' when it comes to God’s children. I hear much from your encounter with this loving couple. While the husband politely left his wife in good company to pursue his purpose,she paid it forward and evoked change in you to act on what you already KNEW to do! To God be the glory! 😊

    ReplyDelete