Saturday, July 7, 2012

Less is More


Less is More

OK, this is the last of the Hunger Games kick for me.

I reflect, inspired by the movie, The Hunger Games.

I remember watching the movie; I got really choked up and did a lot of crying. My sister was like, you alright? If my daughter would have been with me, she would have said, “Mom, it’s not that serious!” However, I think it is.

What really touched me wasn’t the romance or the sadness of the actual Hunger Games, but the blatant disregard for human life and the vanity of mankind.

If you’ve seen the movie, then you know how the people in the Capitol look. To give you an idea, picture in your mind the red carpet on the night of an awards show, then multiply this by 100. In other words, it was outrageous! I remember years ago Lionel Richie hosted an awards show and his word for the evening was OUTRAGEOUS!

Watching The Hunger Games made me wonder, and I don’t believe it is so far fetched from today’s times. Now don’t get me wrong, I like to put on a nice dress from time-to-time, get my hair did and all the works. I am not putting that down….but let’s look at our media. We are consumed by the clothes, hair, make-up, houses, and cars. I wonder as we get more and more materialized, do we disregard humanity less and less.

Is the message…Live LARGE, get MORE? If we’ve become so fascinated with the large, then are we chasing bigger, best and better and maybe forgetting those that have less? I hope not. Thanks to my book club, I started a money jar. This idea was inspired by a book we read, Christmas Jars by Jason F. Wright.

I’m saving for a family for the holidays. I’d like to cash in my change in exchange for a gift card for groceries and feed a family for the upcoming holiday season.

I am reminded; we must remember those that have less. For many with less have much greater values.

 I think the saying is true…LESS IS MORE.

Grace and Peace,

Brook Lynn

Brook Lynn Dorcent
Author
Missing the Mark - Novel
Pressing Toward the Mark – Novel
Spirit Over Will – Devotional
www.brooklynndorcent.com

No comments:

Post a Comment